I was born in New Zealand in 1965 and moved to Northern Ireland with my parents in 1969. My early education was at Portstewart Primary School and Coleraine Academical Institution. Following an undergraduate degree in Natural Sciences at Churchill College (1983-1986), I stayed at the University of Cambridge for a PhD with Jeremy Sanders in the University Chemical Laboratory (1986-1989). I was appointed to a Lectureship in Bioorganic Chemistry at the University of Otago in New Zealand in 1989. I moved to the University of Sheffield in 1991 and was promoted to Professor of Chemistry in 1997. In 2014, I returned to the University of Cambridge as the Herchel Smith Professor of Organic Chemistry and Fellow of Emmanuel College. I am a Fellow of the Royal Society and an Honorary Member of the Royal Irish Academy.
RSC Meldola Medal (1992); Lister Research Fellow (1994-1999); Zeneca Research Award in Organic Chemistry (1995); RSC Corday-Morgan Medal (1999); EPSRC Senior Research Fellow (2005-2010); RSC Tilden Prize (2009); RSC Physical Organic Chemistry Award (2011)
- The Nature of π-π Interactions
C. A. Hunter, J. K. M. Sanders, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1990, 112, 5525-5534
In 2003, this paper was listed in the JACS 125 most cited papers of all time: J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2003, 125, 1–8 (DOI: 10.1021/ja021403x). By 2013, the paper had been cited over 3,000 times.
- Quantifying intermolecular interactions: Guidelines for the molecular recognition toolbox
C. A. Hunter, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2004, 43, 5310-5324
- Chemical double-mutant cycles: dissecting non-covalent interactions
S. L. Cockroft, C. A. Hunter, Chem. Soc. Rev., 2007, 36, 172-188
- What is Cooperativity ?
C. A. Hunter, H. L. Anderson, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2009, 48, 7488-7499
- Photoinduced energy and electron transfer in supramolecular porphyrin assemblies
C. A. Hunter, R. K. Hyde, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 1996, 35, 1936-1939
- Sequence-structure relationships in DNA oligomers: A computational approach
M. J. Packer, C. A. Hunter, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2001, 123, 7399-7406
- From structure to chemical shift and vice-versa
C. A. Hunter, M. J. Packer, C. Zonta, Prog. Nucl. Magn. Reson. Spectrosc., 2005, 47, 27-39
- Virtual cocrystal screening
D. Musumeci, C. A. Hunter, R. Prohens, S. Scuderi, J. F. McCabe, Chem. Sci., 2011, 2, 883-890
- Measurement of energy landscape roughness of folded and unfolded proteins
L. Milanesi, J. P. Waltho, C. A. Hunter, D. J. Shaw, G. S. Beddard, G. D. Reid, S. Dev, M. Volk, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 2012, 109, 19563-19568
- Relationship between chemical structure and supramolecular effective molarity for formation of intramolecular H‑Bonds
H. Sun, C. A. Hunter, C. Navarro, S. Turega, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2013, 135, 13129–13141